Monday, June 27, 2011

Blogging IASPR 2011



The 3rd IASPR conference is underway and I've been following the many tweets written by attendees. Some of those present have also written blog posts:

24 June - Victoria Janssen posted about how she was "hoping that, in attending this conference, I will meet more of my colleagues in the love of romance fiction, and be enriched by the interaction."

26 June - Megan Mulry writes about "How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love the Romance Novel" but although she is "comfortable with detached academic observation [...] when I crack open a new romance novel (yes, I am a spine-cracker) I have learned to dispense with academic analysis lest I forfeit the immediacy and urgency that characterizes a particularly good one."

27 June - Amanda Usen "joined the International Association for the Study of Popular Romance because I wanted to learn from people who think about romance a little differently than I do, people with a broader perspective who might, just might, be able to help me write better fiction by explaining how other authors write. I’m out of my comfort zone, but it’s interesting to realize I might not be the only one."

27 June - Cecilia Tan provides "Notes from the IASPR conference: Laura Kipnis keynote."

27 June - Victoria Janssen's photos of the venue.

27 June - at the dinner Theresa, of edittorrent was asked "A Question to Ponder."

27 June - Eloisa James mentioned An Goris's paper in a comment on Facebook.

29 June - "More geeking out about romance from IASPR" by Cecilia Tan.

29 June - Rose Fox comments "that several people at both IASPR and RWA mentioned that magic is now so common in romance that it’s being casually mixed into other genres rather than just being considered a genre of its own."

30 June - "Bertrice Small at IASPR, interviewed by Sarah Frantz & the audience," as reported by Cecilia Tan.

4 July - jmc's notes from IASPR. A detailed summary of the entire conference.

Please let me know if you write one or spot one that I haven't included and I'll add it to the list.

3 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to see all of these responses to the IASPR meeting, which is, as is to be expected, an absolutely wonderful and inspiring meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, in her latest post (29 June) Cecilia Tan mentions that in your paper you spoke about the

    idea of the “romantic paranoid.” Romantic paranoia is the state the character gets into when attracted to another character but not yet sure of the other character’s feelings, causing constant questioning — was that flirtatious? was that look or that word meant to be flirtatious or is it just imagination/wishful thinking?

    I wonder if the "romantic paranoid" could also refer to someone about to present a paper at a IASPR conference and who is constantly questioning whether their paper is any good ;-)

    I'm glad it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed that is likely very true, or perhaps, romantic hysteria.

    ReplyDelete